Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Never Full

I thought I'd take a quick break from my travel journal to share something Libby said last night. We were eating supper and the conversation turned to Ethiopia (as it often does) and how meal times were there. Sam and Libby put down their forks and started eating with their hands, like you would in Ethiopia, and we were talking about how American food differs from Ethiopian food, etc. Then Libby commented ever so matter-of-factly, "And in America, you get to eat 'til your full. In Ethiopia, you are never full."

Obviously, we've talked a lot about Libby's life in Ethiopia. She openly shares so much about her life - not only at the orphanage but the seven or so years that she lived in her tiny northern Ethiopian village with her birth family. But this particular comment just keeps playing over and over in my mind as I've gone about my day today. Imagine a 10 year old child, or a 2 year old, or a 15 year old. Think of your child for a moment. Imagine yourself never being full. Never. Full.

The thought of it makes me sad beyond words. And mad. Blessed. Yet ashamed. Hunger is a very real problem. Worldwide. We all know that. But the question is, what are we doing about it? What are you doing? What am I doing? For me, the answer is Not Enough. I am not doing enough to help hungry children in this world. Not Enough. And that's not acceptable.

1 comment:

Erica said...

Amazing. Thank you for your blog comment - I highly recommend Dr. Purvis' DVD's and anything else you can get your hands on. I know the videos are 1/2 off right now. Praying for you all as you adjust.