Friday, December 21, 2007

Adoption Education

We have now completed our 10 hours of required adoption education. Because we applied and were approved in 2006, CHI gave us a choice of attending adoption education classes or doing the DVD series and online tests from Heart of the Matter Seminars. We chose the video option since we live so far from our branch office. Honestly, I thought a videotaped seminar would be very boring. But I was actually very impressed with the thoroughness and information provided. I learned a lot, not just some parenting techniques to use with our adopted child but good techniques to use with Sam also. There was a great section on avoiding power struggles - now there's something every parent needs to know!

I was also very delighted to hear Kindermusik mentioned by name in this DVD series. In one section, the seminar leaders were talking about the importance of giving your child positive sensory and emotional experiences and Kindermusik classes were recommended as a great way to do that. Yeah!! But of course I'm biased, with myself being a Kindermusik educator and all. Seriously though, if any other pre-adoptive parents are interested in learning more about Kindermusik you can check out my website at http://musikwithsusan.kindermusik.net
or the website of Kindermusik International at www.kindermusik.com

No comments: