Monday, December 18, 2006

The Process

I have spent the last week frantically searching for information on the Vietnam adoption process. As most people know, I am a research hound. I've spent a year learning the ins and outs of adopting from China, and now I'm trying to get the same amount of info on Vietnam in just a very short time.

I'll be anxious to get our Vietnam Adoption Guide from CHI! But from what I understand so far, we will still begin our homestudy in January, apply to Immigration, then get on THE WAITING LIST. Once we are about 6 months from referral, then we will get our dossier ready to send to Vietnam. Once we have a referral then we have to wait 4-5 months to travel - which I'm sure will seem like an eternity at this point. So overall the process is quite different from China.

The wait time however should be about the same for us. The agency tells us we can expect to wait 18-24 months for a girl. The wait time for a boy is shorter: 12-15 months. I know most parents really complain about the wait time, but it goes by so fast. After all we waited four years to get pregnant with Sam, and have been waiting about 7 years this go around for another child. I really do have patience (although Charles would disagree) plus the wait time is going to be essential for us to have time to save the money we need for our expenses. I know we can't do it alone, but with God's help and favor I have every confidence that He will provide for us financially along this journey.

No comments: