Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Long and Winding Road

It started back in January, I began reading blogs of families that were adopting from Ethiopia. I don't know why I first clicked on those links, other than a gentle nudging from the Holy Spirit. I start looking at the Ethiopia program - costs, wait times, etc. and I just couldn't get it off my mind. Why? I have no idea. Here we were in the midst of adopting from Vietnam, I was expecting to get the call soon to put our dossier together, and I kept thinking about Ethiopia. Well when March came and we started to get some discouraging news about the Vietnam program, I really started looking at Ethiopia seriously. I asked the Lord to please direct our paths. Should we stick with Vietnam? Am I just jumping ship because things are getting rough? Why do I feel so drawn to Ethiopia? I didn't know what the answers were to these questions. So I prayed and prayed some some. I felt God speak something to my heart, "Susan, if I would have told you to adopt from Ethiopia two years ago, you wouldn't have done it." He's right. Sometimes God has to lead us down that long and winding road to bring us to that perfect place that lines up with his will and plan for our lives. So here we are now, two years later. We have just made the switch from the Vietnam program to Ethiopia! And I feel at perfect peace with this decision.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Congratulations! I am so happy to see that you have found the path God intended for you. Isn't it funny how a journey can be so full of twists and turns?! Good luck, and I look forward to following your journey.

Teresa said...

This sounds a little like our story only we started in China. Praise the Lord for His guidance. The path may be rough at times but the end result is an addition to our families. How awesome!
Things went very quickly for us when we switched to Ethiopia. You will be on the waiting list in no time!

angie said...

i feel the exact same way! we just switched a couple of weeks ago and i have never felt such peace.

we tried to switch when we were first placed on the wait list for vietnam, but could not because of the age gap requirement. i think God was just using Vietnam as a place holder until He moved us onto the path He had planned for us. He knew that i could not just sit around with nothing happening, so He continued to move us through the Vietnam program until it was time to change! Pretty cool they way things work out!

look forward to following along :)