Sunday, August 29, 2010

Travel Day Two

Sunday, January 31st 2010

The Ethiopian Airlines flight was smooth, but very long. The meals were okay and oh how my feet and hands have swelled on this flight! Charles has slept much more than I. I may have had 2 hours sleep max. I've read some, listened to music some, and the in-flight movie is "This Is It" the Michael Jackson documentary. I've also snapped pictures from my window seat of mountains, deserts, and rivers. It was a quick stop in Rome just to re-fuel and change the flight crew. Then on to Addis.

As we were finally descending in Addis Ababa in the dark of night, I saw a red/orange glow just over the wing from where I was sitting. At first I thought it was the sun setting as my days and nights were so confused. But then... the moon appeared right from behind the wing of the plane. It had to be the biggest, brightest, most beautiful full moon I'd ever seen! My eyes welled with tears at this amazing sight that filled the sky over the city where at that very moment MY DAUGHTER was sleeping.

(Every full moon since, I've shared this story with Libby. You should see the smile on her face each time I share it!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Susan,
The moon has been a bonding point in our home as well. I tell our little ones how the moon that shines over our heads is the same moon that shines in Ethiopia. It somehow makes them feel closer to the ones they miss that are still living there.
Thanks for sharing your story.
Katie